ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

Linus Torvalds torvalds at osdl.org
Thu Dec 30 12:16:15 CST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> This might explain what they were seeing, but OTOH it seems that the real
> cause of their problems is related to something else (according to other
> emails on this thread).

There's two different problems: the one seen by Thomas (the Xilinx FPGA
synthesizer), which is apparently just due to Wine (or, more likely, the
Windows app itself) depending on a certain memory layout for the stack
and/or other allocations. That one I think we can consider solved, and
indeed had nothing to do with TF.

The other one is the copy-protection code breaking for some game
(Warcraft) for Jesse Allen, and that one is definitely TF-related.. Jesse
can fix it with patches, but those patches aren't acceptable for other
uses, so that's why I'm trying to find something that DTRT both for Wine
and for a regular debugging session..

		Linus