ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 01:00:01 CST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:47:42 -0800 (PST), Linus Torvalds
<torvalds at osdl.org> wrote:

> So I looked at just sharing the code with the debug trap handler, and the
> result is appended. strace works, as does all the TF tests I've thrown at
> it, and the code actually looks better anyway (the old do_debug code looks
> like it got the EIP wrong in VM86 mode, for example, this just cleans
> that up too). Just use a common "send_sigtrap()" routine.
>
> Does this look saner?

Yeah.  I've tested and this one works.  I don't have any other copy
protection schemes that are broken.  Of the cd-rom based, older
safedisc still worked, and the newer one needs a special device driver
that wine cannot load properly yet.  It's more likely if there is a
problem with one that it's a problem with wine at this point.

Jesse