x11drv

Alex Pasadyn ajp at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 2 09:08:06 CST 2004

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> OK, I must admit I don't remember the thread, but why the crashes
> if the res change was not successful? I don't really see the need
> for the hack that you propose. Why do we need to lie that we changed
> the resolution, when we didn't? Whould that potentially result in
> other problems?

I don't really think it's needed either.  The "problem" is that it used
to always just return success, and some users are accustomed to that
behavior.  Basically, the game would then make for instance a 640x480
unmanaged window in the top left corner of the screen.  To not get the
error now, the user needs to edit the config file to either enable
resolution switching (their X server must support it, too) or switch
that app to desktop mode (ChangeDisplaySettings will resize Wine
desktops too).  The default config file has resolution changing enabled,
but if the X server does not support it, the user would need to specify
desktop mode themselves.

With all those options disabled, the behavior we have is the same as you
get on Windows if you try to change to a mode that the graphics adapter
cannot do.  In my testing, I found that many of the games don't even
look at that return code, but the ones that do will complain and refuse
to run if they can't change the resolution to what they want.

I guess it's possible that there exists an app that breaks in desktop
mode, and someone with an X server that cannot change resolutions wants
to run it, but if that's the case I would like to hear about it and fix
its problem with desktop mode.  The original post was about StarCraft,
which runs fine for me both in desktop mode and if I let it change the
resolution.

Alex