WineConf update

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 16:14:23 CST 2004

Hi Guys,
--- Vizzini <vizzini at plasmic.com> wrote:
> There was a very interesting question brought up on Saturday morning
> by
> one of the Wine guys (Mike perhaps?) regarding running ReactOS inside
> Linux, like Win4Lin.  I was skeptical at first, but having slept on
> it a
> day or two, I think this is a really cool idea.  The proposal is that
> we
> adapt our own ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll to run correctly in user mode,
> just like user mode linux does, and use them to run the rest of a
> native
> Windows XP system.  In other words, it replaces Win4Lin with free
> software, and it would be compatible with the current Windows OSes.
> Much investigating remains to be done, of course - I can't really
> even
> guess at the level of difficulty or time required at this point - but
> it
> is worth pursuing in my opinion.

I think its do-able. I am planning on discussing this with Mike and
Codeweavers guys more after I return from Vacation on the 8th. The real
question is what more do you get by running ReactOS as Win4Lin rather
than running Wineserver and WINE. Do we open up Win32k.sys for grahpics
drivers like Captive has done for Filesystem drivers?

Thanks
Steven