WineConf update

Vizzini vizzini at plasmic.com
Mon Feb 2 16:22:27 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 16:14, Steven Edwards wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> --- Vizzini <vizzini at plasmic.com> wrote:
> > There was a very interesting question brought up on Saturday morning
> > by
> > one of the Wine guys (Mike perhaps?) regarding running ReactOS inside
> > Linux, like Win4Lin.  I was skeptical at first, but having slept on

> I think its do-able.
> The real
> question is what more do you get by running ReactOS as Win4Lin rather
> than running Wineserver and WINE. Do we open up Win32k.sys for grahpics
> drivers like Captive has done for Filesystem drivers?

These are two different approaches.  Captive can be very useful as-is
(or nearly so) for running individual drivers.  I've heard the safedisc
driver might be a good next target here.

Unrelated to this might be the ability to run the native Windows OS, off
of the Microsoft CD, but with a replaced kernel and HAL.  Obviously that
gets you a whole virtual machine, whereas Captive is focused on giving
Linux extra capabilities.

 -Vizzini