#winehackers IRC logs

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Sat Feb 14 12:48:44 CST 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 12:32:03PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:30:53 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> > I have to confess that I'm mildly uncomfortable with this; I speak more
> > freely in IRC that I do in email, at least in part because of the
> > (admittedly foolish) notion that it's like speech - fleeting and
> > ephmeral.
>
> Hmm. Yes, this is an interesting one. I wrote this stuff more to kill time
> while I was feeling zoned than anything else, I can switch it off pretty
> easily and wouldn't mind. Alternatively, would some way to selectively
> disable logging help (log on/log off)?

Although I haven't visited a wine channel for a fwe years now, I've always
disliked the idea of having my speech (and typos) recorded. It's one thing
to hold an online meeting with fixed starting end ending times and maybe
even an agenda: Logging something like that makes sense. But when people
are just thinking loud or "just" chatting - I think it's a win for everyone
that things like that are *not* recorded (everyone includes the BigBrother
fraction, although they don't realize this of course ;-)
So if you feel that there are interesting things being said that are worth
publishing, you should do it right: Record it, edit it manually and then
post a summary. But, as I mentioned, I haven't been to one of the wine
channels for a long time. Which reminds me...

 Ciao
   Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer at loplof.de>