PATCH: ntoskrnl.exe

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Feb 17 06:30:43 CST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:33:12 +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> As of working, in Need for Speed v4 from Electronic Arts I now see the SafeDisc[tm]
> Splashscreen, then it is seeking on the CD pretty heavily, then the program terminates.

For the record (we already discussed this a bit on IRC) this is probably
SafeDisc taking seek-time profiles from the CD drive. SafeDiscs contain
certain blocks in unusual widely-spaced ordering that is not possible to
recreate using standard CD burners. By reading each block in turn and
checking that the seek times are high enough they can verify the CD has
not been copied using consumer-grade equipment.

This test, in other words, should pass - as long as the Linux/Wine CD
subsystems have similar timing profiles to Windows (gulp)

thanks -mike