bt in traces

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman at warwick.ac.uk
Wed Feb 18 17:25:29 CST 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 19:49, Eric Pouech wrote:
> > this would be as intrusive as using the debugger (I assume that the
> > running process would be in charge of printing the backtrace, or an
> > external process - like a debugger - would print the backtrace, while
> > the program is stopped (or after copying the stack for instrospection,
> > which dbghelp doesn't provide btw))
>
> Why would it be intrusive? Can't you just take a snapshot of the stack
> and walk it internally? That must be what StackWalk does, right, as apps
> often try and grab their own backtraces....

You're right that it wouldn't be intrusive (just like Linux kernel
backtraces in the kernel log). However, StackWalk doesn't do exactly what
you think it does. It generates frame pointer information (including the
instruction pointer), but you need to call it recursively. Even then it
won't be very readable unless you put in symbol lookups. Very soon you have
completed one of the todo's by moving most of winedbg into imagehlp/dbghlp.

Rob