Proposal: new mailing list [email protected]

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Feb 22 11:09:05 CST 2004

* Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> [2004-02-22 00:16:21 -0800]:

Hi,

> City governments (especially in Germany and France) have recently
> begun seriously consider migrating to Linux, and feasibility
> studies are being done and to some extent are publically available.
> The study done for Munich, for instance, recognizes that cities need
> sometimes hundreds of specialized software packages that are not yet
> available for Linux, and so the cities will have to continue
> running the Windows versions of those apps for the time being.

hmm, I'm pro this.
Since I'm working as developer and system integrator, such topics are
really interesting for me. But they of course dont really belong to
the wine-users list.

Perhaps we could also set up a general wine-advocacy list, where we
discuss general things, i.e. vmware vs. wine, etc.

> Yet it suggests using Terminal Services and/or VmWare to run those apps!
> Clearly, the Wine community needs to make an effort to address the needs
> of city governments and to get the word out that Wine is a viable option.
ACK.

BTW: this way we perhaps could make clearer to the goverments, that they
dont just use another operating system (-kernel), but instead go completely
opensource - meaning all govermental processes have to be transparent
(of course this takesj political processes, but perhaps we could help
here a little bit)

> One important part of this effort should be a mailing list akin to
> wine-users but dedicated to governmental users of Wine.  (wine-users
> is full of all sorts of topics that might not mix well with staid
> government workers; some of the games discussed there might even be
> banned in Germany!)
Yeah, wine-users too wide for this. Most talk there's about quite
specific questions. For govermental users, we have more general questions,
i.e. is some package running, what problems may occour when running
package XYZ under wine, etc.

> Dedicating a mailing list to this special category of user would greatly
> increase the signal-to-noise ratio, and should increase the likelihood
> that government users would feel comfortable about Wine.
ACK.

BTW: if for some reason (I cant image any good one) the winehq folks
dont want such an list @winehq, i'd offer to host it at my site.

<snip>
> IMHO the list should allow posts in any language;
> if nobody can handle the language a post is in, we'll
> ask the poster to try again in English.
> The goal here is to avoid intimidating
> these possibly skittish users; asking them to *always* post
> in English might scare some of them away.
hmm, shouldn't we better split off into several languages, at least
german and english ?

> --
> US citizens: if you're considering voting for Bush, look at these first:
> http://www.misleader.org/
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/arar/
> http://www.house.gov/reform/min/politicsandscience/
European Citizens: please hava a look at how the European Commission
aims to make the European IT business to slaves of international
juristokrats -- http://patinfo.ffii.org/

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481