install default config files to $PREFIX/share/wine

Marcus Meissner marcus at jet.franken.de
Tue Jan 6 08:53:39 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 09:44:05AM -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On January 5, 2004 05:27 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > We will need a tool (maybe wineboot) to setup the initial drive config
> > according to the machine setup. A default config file is not going to
> > help with that anyway.
>
> I'd say we just have a C: drive pointing to / (root). This setup
> is definitely the most user friendly, and the one most in the
> spirit of Unix (one large tree). A user of a Unix system will be
> most confortable with it, and it will create the least unexpected
> behavior.
>
> Thinking about this, I'm not even sure why we encourage people to
> define drives (by having a nice UI in winecfg)... What's wrong
> with only a C: drive by default? Power users have regedit :)

Well, no.

Where do you want to have windows/ and windows/system/ directory? In /
of the UNIX filesystem, world writeable? :)

For SuSE, I have:
	A:	/media/floppy/

	C:	%HOME/.wine/fake_windows/
	...some cd drives...

	X:	/tmp/
	Y: 	%HOME%
	Z: 	/

But this is case for endless discussion I guess.

We could just make "C:" redefineable and leave the rest as default for instance.

Ciao, Marcus