Comment on new file implementation

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 03:34:22 CST 2004

Eric, the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

In my quick read of the patch I didn't see any
translating from the Win32 namespace to the NT
namespace; do you plan to do anything there?

To pick a (bad) example, the name \\server\share\file
is valid in the Win32 namespace, but not in the NT
namespace; it must be translated to
\??\UNC\server\share\file

Since you mentioned SMB, I will too:  don't worry too
much, it's currently broken anyway.  As long as the
code's cleaner it should be easier to fix (and this
looks much cleaner).

--Juan