Comment on new file implementation

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jan 7 13:39:50 CST 2004

Juan Lang a écrit :
> Eric, the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.
>
> In my quick read of the patch I didn't see any
> translating from the Win32 namespace to the NT
> namespace; do you plan to do anything there?
I do actually use the NT name space in ntdll (NtCreateFile takes a NT
path name). Didn't you notice that the dosdevices and device
subdirectories are actually part of the NT name space itself ? (on
latest NT, dosdevices is in fact a symlink to ??). What the patch
somehow implements is NT symlinks (in NT name space) as unix symlinks in
the ${WINEPREFIX} directory...

> To pick a (bad) example, the name \\server\share\file
> is valid in the Win32 namespace, but not in the NT
> namespace; it must be translated to
> \??\UNC\server\share\file
it is (check RtlDosPathNameToNtPathName_U)

> Since you mentioned SMB, I will too:  don't worry too
> much, it's currently broken anyway.  As long as the
> code's cleaner it should be easier to fix (and this
> looks much cleaner).
as far as today, SMB hasn't been correctly incorporated in the patch (it
should be moved to ntdll, and rewritten to take paths in the NT form
rather than the DOS form). I haven't done it so far.

A+