Better cpuid support

Robert Lunnon bobl at optushome.com.au
Wed Jan 14 23:11:46 CST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 10:45, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Robert Lunnon <bobl at optushome.com.au> writes:
> > Improves CPUID instruction support in cpu.c by reorganising the existing
> > FREEBSD code. Added more robust cpuid detection with built in 386
> > detection. Code should work for all i386 platforms and has been tested
> > under solaris. Created subroutines for detecting number of CPUs and OS
> > SSE support as this can't be done in a uniform way across different OSes.
> > Extracted relevant code from each section to perform these OS specific
> > operations (Mostly untested).
>
> It's hard to tell exactly what has changed, since you basically
> rewrote the whole thing, for no good reason IMO. Could you please
> try to merge your changes with the existing code instead?

 I see no reason to, the code functions perfectly well as it is, I
restructured it for a couple of reasons.

1. Firstly I had the code available tested and working. Increasing the
distribution of the code through cpu.c risked breaking it.

2. The code as it stood was hard to understand particularly in seeing what was
being detected from the cpuid instruction due to hardcoded shifts and masks.
I think this code is much easier to read ( Especially without the CPUID
instruction documentation in front of you )

3. Merging was difficult due to the specific calls to OS functions for number
of cpus and the hardcoded numbers.

4. The code as it stands is more modular and more extensible/maintainable. For
example Cyrix or Winchip support should be trivial to add as would support
for other cpuid extensions (IA64 perhaps)  Only CPUID_GetId should need to be
changed to support future cpuid extensions assuming the chip manufactures
follow the same calling conventions.

To assist I will explain the scope of the changes

1. The original cpuid and i386 detect are merged into a single assembly call
for convenience.

2. The data is then interpreted into a structure for use. Understanding CPUID
means knowing the cpuid_t structure and CPUID_IsFeatureAvailable call. All
the specifics are isolated into GetId for maintainablity.

3. The OS Specifics for testing OS support of multiple CPUs and SSE were moved
into their own subroutines. This abstracts these functions to permit the code
in the FREEBSD section to be OS independent. Note that I copied/added code to
each of these subroutines to support all the platforms that were already
supported for that feature. Much of this code is currently redundant unless
someone wants to change the existing linux or NETBSD sections (Which
currently use other methods). The redundant code was added to allow this to
happen.

3. The information collection and feature tests in the FREEBSD code were
changed to use cpuid_t and IsFeatureAvailable in a way exactly equivalent to
the original adding support for detection of PAE and SSE in the process
(Though OS_SSESupported will need a test for SSE for FREEBSD to work)  There
is no test for Solaris SSE test since SSE isn't supported at all there (Yet).
So there isn't a documented way to query it.

5. Finally #elif defined (__FREEBSD__) was changed to #elif defined (__i386__)
since the code within now works for all i386 platforms. (Ultimately this was
the objective of the patch)

The #ifdef sections for linux and NETBSD remain unchanged for the moment in
order to minimise the possibility of me breaking anything.

Bob