winecfg: a patch to review

Kevin Koltzau kevin at plop.org
Sat Jan 17 16:36:36 CST 2004

On Saturday 17 January 2004 12:41 pm, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> > I agree that [Version] should be an app specific setting, it is a
> > frequently used option.  Maybe we can roll version settings and the Dll
> > settings tab together into an "Application" tab?
>
> I think this is a good idea. In general speaking, this per-app
> settings is a hack required by poor implementation. Windows
> doesn't need it, so we should be fine without it. Therefore:
>   -- we should try to minimize it's use
>   -- eliminate it in the future
>   -- not encourage people to use it, unless required
> Thus cluttering the interface with it would be a bad plan IMO.
> Having it in a separate tab can keep us honest to not
> overuse it, and to more easily get rid of it in the future.

Windows actually does have a few settings like this (Well, XP does)
You can specify an EXE will run in the following compatabillty modes:
Windows 95
Windows 98 / Windows Me
Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)
Windows 2000

as well as specify the app should run in 256 colors, disable visual themes, run in 640x480 resolution

There has been many cases where I've found applications that refused to run on XP and being
able to specify the Win95 or NT4 compatibility mode worked great