wine cvs notes and proposed keyboard detection fix.

Shane Shields locutusenterprises at softhome.net
Mon Jan 19 13:56:24 CST 2004

On Sunday 18 January 2004 2:35 pm, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> The patch is wrong, since it cures just a symptom not the problem itself.

That could be true as I havent looked too deeply into the code. It was just a
quick look at that function only and wasnt followed completely through.
(didnt want to step on toes).

> There are two problems with current x11drv keyboard code:
> 1. Very likely that Turkish keyboard layout there is incorrect.

AFAICT The Turkish keyboard layout is correct. The original code doesnt get as
far as looking at the turkish definition. From what I could determine it
stopped searching when it got a wrong keysymb and if that combination
satisfied the selection that keyboard was chosen. It didnt matter if it was
the right keyboard or not. This was not completely verified through testing
as I only have one keyboard :)

> 2. As stated before the keyboard code should be fixed to take into account
> the real keyboard layout while building the keyc2vkey map, not the
> hardcoded one.

That would be a more elegant and portable fix. How do the other programs do it
(read window managers)?

> Regarging Office 97 and Quicken problems: it's better to start with simple
> +relay trace and search for MessageBox and the first occurence of the
> wrongly formatted date respectively. Or just find a patch which caused a
> regression for Office97.

When I have some time (might be soon when this work is finished and I am out
of a job) I will be looking into it.

--
Shane Shields

Registered LFS Compiler: 7582
To drink the WINE of success you must first seek the sayings of source