[ddraw] asynchronous screen updates

Piotr Pawłow pp at siedziba.pl
Wed Jan 21 10:11:46 CST 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 12:53, Mike Hearn wrote:

> Metacity is normally a good barometer of whether we got WM stuff correct.
> What errors do you see exactly? Are we created unmanaged windows here, or
> are they managed but with screwed up NETWM attributes?

Metacity displays two messages:

#v+
Window manager warning: Window 0x3200004 (Warlords B) sets an MWM hint
indicating it isn't resizable, but sets min size 1 x 1 and max size
2147483647 x 2147483647; this doesn't make much sense.
Window manager warning: Window 0x3400009 () sets an MWM hint indicating it
isn't resizable, but sets min size 1 x 1 and max size 2147483647 x
2147483647; this doesn't make much sense.
#v-

With metacity the game starts, main screen appears for one second, then
disappears and the screen remains black. The game is running, I can hear
sounds when I move the mouse, I can push buttons and exit the game, but I
don't see anything. I can't switch windows with alt-tab. There is no music.

KWin does not say anything when I start the game. Main screen appears and does
not disappear. Music plays. I can start and play the game, switching windows
with alt-tab works, but when I switch to another window I can't go back. KWin
says:

#v+
kwin: Raising: No support
kwin: Raising: Refusing
#v-

The game halts and music stops when I switch to another window, then when I
switch back music starts playing again, but the window does not show up.

I created 3 logs with --debugmsg +x11drv:
http://pp.siedziba.pl/tmp/wb/wb+x11drv-metacity.log - start the game and exit
http://pp.siedziba.pl/tmp/wb/wb+x11drv-kwin.log - as above, with kwin
http://pp.siedziba.pl/tmp/wb/wb+x11drv-kwin-switching_windows.log - start the
game and switch windows 2 times

I don't understand much from these logs, but maybe you or someone else can
spot a problem. One thing I noticed, is that with metacity the game does not
draw anything, which is indicated by the lack of
"fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_WaitForVerticalBlank" messages. I rerun the test
with +bitblt to make sure. I guess the game thinks its window is inactive.

--
 Piotr Pawłow
 mailto:pp at siedziba.pl