RFC on our new initiative

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Thu Jan 22 11:17:55 CST 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 12:05 am, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> Jeremy White wrote:
> >>Did any one contact Xaim to see if they can send any MONO people to
> >>wineconf?
> >>Is there any vision on how these 2 integrate?
> >>  I haven't even touched MONO yet (& .NET for that mater), but from the
> >>look of it they better use wine for some areas of .NET. Like .Forms.
> >>And certainly Wine Loader should have an hook ready for sending .NET
> >>code the MONO way.
> >
> >I haven't asked them directly, but I know that Alexandre chatted
> >directly with some of the Mono guys (who, afaik, promptly disregarded
> >his advice and hacked Wine to their own ends <grin>).
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Jer
>
> They can re patch to their harts content every wine release. Stupid but
> doable. But are they releasing their wine source code ? They have to. So
> that means we have yet another fork of wine on the net?
> Nu well! Life!
>
> Free Life
> Boaz

Mono is LGPL/X11 (except the compiler) so we could beat them at their own game
by forking /their/ code, turning it into a winelib app, and implementing
Windows.Forms properly ;)

If you're serious, here's where to start implementing your .NET hooks in wine:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/grfunUnmanagedAPIReference.asp

I think CorBindToRuntimeEx is the standard entry-point API to the CLR.

--
gmt

"In accordance with the GPL, the source for pogo is available upon request,
for a nominal fee to cover media and shipping costs.*

"* = The source code will be provided to you as a series of large, neon-lit
marquee letters shipped individually in wooden packing crates. Currently,
the world's supply of neon gas limits our ability to ship large quantities
of source code. The current expected wait time is 32 years, plus or minus
6 months, depending upon the condition of labor relations in countries with
substantial noble gas exports.

"For more information, please inject crystal meth directly into your eyeballs,
and light yourself on fire while listening to the following song:

"xmms http://www.ibiblio.org/propaganda/pogo/easteregg.mp3"

  -- the pogo README, presumably written by Bowie J. Poag