RFC on our new initiative

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Fri Jan 23 05:12:52 CST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 10:54, Francois Gouget wrote:
> I believe that's why Gregory proposed to fork their code: because he
> just wants a 100% open-source way to run .Net apps in Wine and thus for
> him the hard-dependency on Wine is not an issue.
>
> Can Mono work on Windows? Or, in other words, is there an open-source
> .Net implementation on Windows? If yes we could try to make that work in
> Wine (as a PE binary first, then via a MinGW + Winelib port).

It can yes, I can imagine that you'd be able to build Mono as a winelib
app.

We really need to think about this carefully. The situation is a bit
sticky:

* Sometimes Wine will require Mono to run apps (for instance you can
have normal Win32 apps that link against the .NET runtime or use COM
activation to get .NET components at runtime)

* Sometimes Mono will require Wine to run apps, for programs that
require System.Windows.Forms, but also for IJW binaries and for when
.NET apps depend on unmanaged win32 COM components.

So it goes both ways. This is really tricky. One way to do is to fork
each others code and merge them into each other but that just makes me
feel dirty :)

There has to be a better way..... I'm not sure what it is yet though. We
could probably implement our own mscorlib.dll which does the unmanaged
setup then relays to libmscorlib.so or whatever it is mono uses.