shell32 patch 20

Jakob Eriksson jakov at vmlinux.org
Sun Jan 25 09:16:45 CST 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Jakob Eriksson" <jakov at vmlinux.org> wrote:
>

>>Depending on how you define break, that argument can be used to stop
>>almost any patch to Wine, if the goal happens to be cross compilation.
>>

>What way will you decide to go, if in the next Platform SDK release
>Microsoft will remove some of the existing APIs and simultaneously add
>some previously undocumented? Rewrite all the affected parts of your code?

I haven't thought about that. Guess we will have to consider that
problem when it appears.
(Have they ever deprecated functions so you can't use them, by the way?
I get warnings
on some, but it still links.)

>>I understand your fight against code duplication and such, but IMHO cross
>>compilation is something that needs to happen.
>>

>I wonder then, how you are going to cross compile most of the kernel parts
>of ReactOS code. If you would rely only on the documented APIs and headers
>ReactOS would not be in the state it is now.

No, kernel parts are of course often not possible to share, since they
are implemented on very
different subsystems:  PC hardware "API" vs UNIX system API.

But AFAIK shell32 is a user-space DLL and it should be possible to make
it so that it can
be shared unmodified between Windows, ReactOS and Wine.
(Or VC++, mingw and wines build system.)

If I am wrong in this assumption just ignore my whole argument.

/Jakob