x11drv

Alex Pasadyn ajp at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 30 12:17:53 CST 2004

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On January 30, 2004 09:00 am, RemiAssailly at aol.com wrote:
>
>>I don't understand you !
>>Without that it does not work.
>>With that, it works and graphic working is faster.
>

> Maybe so, but it looks obviously incorrect. Not everything
> that seems to fix problems is a real fix. You maybe hiding
> a bigger issue. The fix as you sent it can't be right, but
> you maybe on to something. Someone knowledgable in the area
> should express a more informed opinion.

Here's the deal.  ChangeDisplaySettings used to always return success,
even though it actually did nothing.  When I added support for
resolution changing using XRandR, one of the changes was to actually
fail if the requested mode did not exist.

If XRandR or XVidMode is used, the requested mode must really exist, or
you will get an error.  In desktop mode, there is a hardcoded list of
allowable modes that covers all the commonly used ones.

The original post about this issue included an error message that
included the string (NoRes) in it, which meant that XRandR, XVidMode,
and desktop mode were all disabled.

While I think the correct fix is for the user to enable desktop mode or
real resolution changing, there is a different hack that can be used
without causing crashes.

Simply go into X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsExW and replace both
instances of DISP_CHANGE_BADMODE with DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL.

Alex