Posix Subsystem for ReactOS - Project 2010

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 30 22:28:06 CST 2004

--- Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:
> While it's certainly an exiting project, I understood that it was NOT
>
> based on the Windows subsystem mechanism, but rather hacking your way
>
> into Windows NT's ring 0 using a device driver. While I'm a great fan
> of
> "if it works", wouldn't it be nicer, long run, to have a proper
> subsystem of it?

As one of the other comments said the Windows POSIX subsystem model has
some limitations. I would like to bring CoLinux to the point that it
ties in as well to Windows and ReactOS as SFU does.

> Also, what are you planning on doing with graphic applications?
> CoLinux
> works by running a X server on the windows machine. That's probably
> not
> the best solution there is. How is the ReactOS windowing back-end
> implemented?

We are looking at that currently. ReactOS's TCP/IP implemetation is
lacking so running XFree/Cygwin is not a option atm. Once we get TCP/IP
going than any Xserver for Windows should do but I would like to bring
libw11 in to ReactOS and implement a Xserver as a core OS componate.
LibW11 if you dont know about it sits on top of User32/GDI and
translates all of the XLib calls to Win32 calls. I we can make a
faster/lighter Xserver reusing this code.

Thanks
Steven