Pango for BiDi

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sat Jul 3 03:47:38 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:

>OK. Well, that can be solved by WineHQ providing high quality binary
>packages that work anywhere. When I get around to this (maybe in a few
>months) I'll let you know and you can kick me if I get ICU
>integration wrong :)
>
>thanks -mike

No, that won't solve the problem. For a package to be included in
Debian, for example, it needs to be reconstructible by doing "apt-get
source wine; apt-get build-dep wine", and then simply CDing into the
proper directory and running the build script. If there is no half-way
modern ICU version in Debian, Ove can't really build wine with BiDi.
Maybe we can get our supplied packages to be BiDi enabled, but so long
as we use ICU, and ICU has this horrible linking policy, we can't really
get it wide-spread. Since I want it widespread, fribidi is where I'm headed.

             Shachar