Pango for BiDi

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sat Jul 3 09:04:12 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:

>To be frank I think that's Debians problem, or to more accurate the
>problem of those who insist on using apt-get for everything. If WineHQ
>provides high quality tested binaries with ICU included, they can use
>that if they want BiDi.
>
>There will *always* be random distros that have packaging policy that
>conflicts with Wine, I don't think we should let that dictate our choice
>of libraries. If we switch to FriBiDi maybe that fixes the Debian case
>but breaks the Mandrake case, or whatever.
>
>thanks -mike

Just to sum up the IRC discussion with Mike:
1. I use ICU because it's the best we have at the moment. That doesn't
revoke my right to hate it. Until I have an alternative (or someone else
steps forward to do BiDi on Wine), that's what we are using.
2. Eat the strawberries.
3. Never tell amusing stories around geeks. They will either guess the
punchline or find logic errors in the story.

Full IRC logs are available upon request :-)

             Shachar