MSI in Wine

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Mon Jul 5 12:10:25 CDT 2004

Hi Gearoid,

Aric and I have been working on a replacement for MSI.DLL that would
eliminate the need to download the Windows installer distributable to
install .msi files.

We have made quite a bit of progress on this in the last couple of
months, but the work is not yet complete.  After I finish flushing out
the work we've done, it should be possible to install some simple .msi
files without any Windows DLLs at all.

We are still missing an implementation of msiexec, but it is a fairly
trivial wrapper around msi.dll, so should not be too hard to implement.

The native msi dlls (ie. the MS redistributables) have worked in Wine
for more than two years :)   They contain a few annoying bugs which are
hard to workaround...

Mike