FMOD audio engine fails to initialize DirectMusic

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed Jul 14 05:24:51 CDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:04:06 +0200, Saulius Krasuckas wrote:
> I think FMOD tries to open the "General MIDI collection of DLS
> instruments" called GM.DLS and fails to do so as Wine doesn't have it.
> Any ideas on the legal way to install it onto the Wine system?

If you have a Windows license you can just copy it across.

> Does anyone knows or can explain the license MS mentions here?  Am i
> allowed to copy the file from any web page or another place?

I guess so but it's like DCOM - only if you have a Windows license.

> Or another point:  would it be sane to expect the Wine devs to implement
> simplified/different version of this collection in the future?  TIA.

No, definitely not, this sort of thing is like metrically-compatible
fonts: they basically need to be donated (or we need to license
them/equivalents ourselves from Roland or some other music company somehow).