Make wine honor LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Thu Jul 15 08:24:40 CDT 2004

"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-patches at shemesh.biz> wrote:

> Following a discussion with Alexandre on IRC, here is a revised patch.
> This one doesn't touch the LC_MESSAGE, as these do not affect the user
> locale. Further work will be necessary on supporting MUI like language
> checking.

>      if ((lang = getenv( "LC_ALL" )) ||
> -        (lang = getenv( "LANGUAGE" )) ||
> +        (env1 && (lang = getenv( env1 ))) ||
>          (lang = getenv( "LANG" )))

I think that re-introducing an ability to change Wine's locale
with LC_CTYPE is flawed. Remeber, that current ANSI code page
affects not only keyboard input, but also all things depending
on MultiByteToWideChar/WideCharToMultiByte conversions, that's
all resource strings and hardcoded non-unicode application strings.

If you are trying to fix keyboard input, you have to fix it not
in Wine, but in your Linux locale setup. If you have LC_ALL, LANG
and LC_TYPE pointing to different locales your setup is broken.

--
Dmitry.