Make wine honor LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sat Jul 24 10:20:33 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>As far as I understand what you are trying to do and what the patch
>Alexandre committed does is to make the user interface use english
>while you still have an ability to type in your native language.

No. What I'm trying to do is have none-unicode applications use the
correct codepage according to their LC_CTYPE. That's all I'm trying to
do. While my original patch tried to also choose the interface language,
I removed that part. I think you are simply reading into this patch's
intentions things that are not there.

>That's not how Windows does this, at least to my understanding.

That is precisely how windows does it.

> On my
>english win2k with locale set to russian both GetSystemDefaultLCID and
>GetUserDefaultLCID return 0419 (russian).

Now I'm not following what you are trying to say. According to my
understanding of Windows, if you installed an English Win2k and set
system locale to Russian, all non-unicode applications you run will
interpret the string of bytes they read from files etc. under a Russian
codepage. If you set the user locale to Russian as well, you will get
dates in European order etc. as well. Your interface language should
remain English. That is the behaviour you are seeing, right? In fact,
the only way you would actually get Russian interface is if you
installed a Russian Windows. If you then set your system locale to
English, you would get question marks instead of letters from many
non-unicode applications that use resources, as their resources would
try to load Russian, which would not be supported by their codepage
(system locale).

Your setup is equivalent to setting "LANG" to Russian, and LC_MESSAGES
to en_US on Unix, or to setting LANG to en_US and then setting LC_CTYPE,
LC_CDATE etc. to Russian. Either one should do the trick on Unix, and so
either one should do the trick on Wine.

> I don't know how MUI enabled
>Windows versions implement that functionality, but I don't think that
>it's just the system locale.

It's not. I've installed MUI, and am currently investigating this. I'm
thinking of either having "FindResource"
use the interface language as defined by MUI instead of "LANG_NEUTRAL,
SUBLANG_NEUTRAL", or replace entry 9 in "find_entry" with the above
mentioned language. I still have to see how that is defined on Windows
MUI. In any case, I trust there is no argument that Wine should behave
like MUI, right?

Either way, the patch above (second version) had no presumptions to do
what you claim it tries to do, and I therefor think your objection to it
is unfounded.

                Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh