(Quite) Slow Starcraft

Maurizio Monge monge at sns.it
Sat Jul 24 21:47:54 CDT 2004

It is now really *slow*, but a quite old 2d game such as starcraft that runs
perfectly in a PII 300 under windows should also run perfectly on linux with
an AMD64 3200 :-)

It happens that using the nasty DGA hack on
sourceforge.net/projects/starcraft-wine
applied by hand to current cvs it does run (as root) perfectly.
but even if X11 is a sucky architecture for games it should
run perfectly too with accelerated X11+XShm.

Instead it happens that *sometimes* it runs fast (as with DGA), and
sometimes it becomes unacceptably slow (for little time, though).
I started to give a look at wine source to understand why this strange thing
happens, but i fould no place where DGA and X11 code paths could differ in
this way... maybe with x11 there are such things as an additionl wine thread
or boh...
maybe you wine hackers are already aware of similar problems, or may help me
to understand what's up (and i would like possibly to help fix it).

Thanx
Please CC monge(at)sns(dot)it as i'm not subscribed.

--
Best Regards
Maurizio Monge

"..the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." (Edmond Burke)