Make wine honor LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Jul 26 11:38:15 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>>?
>>Docs says I can.
>>Actual practice says I can (I do it all the time, as do many people in
>>Israel).
>>Please elaborate on why you chose to call a documented behavior *that
>>works* "insane".
>>

>I explained it many times already: because you can't have different locales
>for keyboard input, string collation and to/from unicode conversion routines.

Ok, it seems that we are walking around in circles here.

Windows has it. Just set system locale to one thing (code page, to/from
unicode), and user locale to something else (collation).
Unix has it (LC_COLLATION and LC_CTYPE).
Why shouldn't wine?

Even if you are right that it leads to insanity (and I do understand why
you say that, at least for the codepage and collation collision. If
there are any other cases of insanity, do tell), aren't we supposed to
be bug-compatible with Windows?

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh