icons contribuition

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Jul 28 02:35:05 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 07:52:36PM -0300, Marcio Esper wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 19:26, Troy Rollo wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:55, Marcio Esper wrote:
> > > I made a new icon to be used with wine.
> > >
> > > 128x128, 64x64, 48x48, 32x32, 16x16.
> >
> > Sorry, but these can't be used in WINE. The 128x128 icon clearly shows that
> > the graphic is a derivative work incorporating the standard Windows logo
> > (which is a copyright work, not just a trademark), and it appears also the
> > Windows 95 retail box design (also a copyright work).
>
> Hmmm, ok, I make again without the win box.
> I hope you like now :)
I'm afraid I'm still not too convinced.
While I like a more "modern", rendered, look (though I didn't like the
first Win95 box design at all), I believe that brand recognition is very very
very important. Since your icons deviate a lot from our existing logo,
they shouldn't be used in this form in my view.
...unless we think the current Wine logo is "wrong" (e.g. wrong Wine glass)
and should be fixed to be an entirely different logo.
But I really really think that changing the Wine logo every few months
because there's a new shiny and glitzy logo out there is a major mistake.
Just look at what kind of a ridiculous branding game Mozilla played:
Netscape, Phoenix, Firebird, Firefox, Mozilla Suite, ..., each with its
own new logo having no brand recognition...
No wonder uninformed people are still tending towards downloading the latest
Netscape offering (nevermind that each version is just a slightly outdated
version of Mozilla).

I think Wine should have a "stable" base logo theme, with "improved" versions
of this base version as new people get new ideas how to design this base
Wine logo.

OK, so... should we:
a) have a stable base icon design or not? (me: YES, we should!)
b) change our current logo framework? (me: not sure, but the glass is wrong,
   so...)

Andreas Mohr