Wine and locales

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Jul 28 04:41:29 CDT 2004

"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:

> In an attempt to get away from a possibly confusing subject line, and to
> converge on an agreed behavior, here is an attempt to clear the desired
> locale behavior Wine should have. Dmitry (and anyone else), please
> comment on this table where you think there are errors in it, and say
> what should be there.
>
> In the "Unix setting", I'm always assuming that LC_ALL overrides
> whatever is written in that column, and that LANG is used if neither
> LC_ALL nor the column are set.

I said it many times already, and I'll repeat once more: Windows has
only one active locale which defines all the things you mentioned in
the table except language of the interface which let's set aside to not
confuse each other. There is no need to try to find appropriate mappings
for LC_TYPE or anything else you find in the output of the 'locale'
command. But still (almost) any locale setting you want to modify in
the win32 environment on a per user basis can be done either by running
Control Panel/Regional Options, or modifying the registry or win.ini
directly. By default all locale data are set according to the global
system locale.

Any attempt to have more than one active locale simultaneously will lead
to confusion and nothing else, be it unix environment or win32.

--
Dmitry.