Wine and locales

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Wed Jul 28 10:09:08 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:
>

>>>You are trying to persuade yourself by taking into account only the look
>>>of the Windows. Please write a test app how I did and see what data
>>>GetSystemDefaultLCID and GetUserDefaultLCID return.
>>>

>>Just did:
>>GetUserDefaultLCID: 0409
>>GetSystemDefaultLCID: 040d
>>

>What exactly did you do and under what Windows flavour?

Windows 2000. I detailed exactly what I did in a previous email:
Assuming your locale (the only one you will acknowledge) is still set to
English, run your test again.

Next, set your locale to Russian, and as administrator (or a member of
the administrators group), go to "settings", "control panel", and run
"regional options". In the "General" tab, click on "Set default". In the
new dialog box, select "English US" as the locale.

Simply put, what you select at the top of the "General" tab of the
Regional options control panel applet is what is returned by
"GetUserDefaultLCID". Hence, I've been calling it "User locale"
throughout this conversation. It is a per-user setting, and does not
require restart to change.

What you select when you press "Set default" is what is returned by
"GetSystemDefaultLCID". Hence I've been calling it "System locale". It
is a global setting, requires administrator to change, and requires a
reboot to get into effect.

I'm not sure what you called "system locale", or why.

>I assume that was XP,

You assume wrong. In any case, the only difference between XP and W2K in
that regard is that, under XP, they changed the titles of the settings
in the control panel to describe what the settings actually do. They
otherwise behave exactly the same, and affect the same APIs and behaviors.

>can you reproduce the same thing under win9x, NT4 and win2k?

That WAS on Windows 2000. I haven't tried NT4 or Win9x, and I don't care to.

> I can't reproduce
>that neither under Windows95/98 nor under Windows2000.

That's because you refuse to acknowledge the existence of the setting
mentioned above.

>That fact changes nothing for me.

I have had enough of this conversation.

             Shachar