Wine and locales

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Wed Jul 28 20:43:37 CDT 2004

"Alexandre Julliard" <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:

> I'm afraid I still don't see what's wrong with the patch. Obviously
> there can be different system and user locales on Windows, since there
> are APIs for that, and LC_CTYPE looks like a pretty good match for
> what the system locale does; I don't really understand why you are so
> violently opposed to that patch. Could you please explain exactly what
> you think this is going to break?

It breaks every user's setup where LANG and LC_CTYPE inadvertently point
to different locales (like LC_CTYPE=en_US, LANG=ru_RU) and users in that
case have completely not working Wine: neither keyboard input, not localized
resources and everything else. I, personally, fixed several similar cases
for our customers.

--
Dmitry.