Wine and locales

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Wed Jul 28 22:17:06 CDT 2004

"Dmitry Timoshkov" <dmitry at baikal.ru> writes:

> Yes, that's the reason why LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES were removed from
> the list of environment variables controlling Wine locale.

I think the problem was more that we were setting both user and system
locales, and for that we can really only take LC_ALL into account. But
it seems reasonable to use LC_CTYPE to only change the codepage, since
that's pretty much the same effect it will have under Unix too.

> We should not complicate things, especially since it's not clear at all
> what APIs are affected by system/user locale differences.

But the fact is that there are two different locales that can be
configured independently on Windows, and some users need that
ability. So how do you propose to solve the issue?

We could of course make it configurable in the config file instead,
but it seems to me that reusing the existing Unix setup is better than
requiring users to configure the same thing in two different places.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org