Wine and locales

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at cse.msu.edu
Wed Jul 28 23:31:56 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>I still want your patch to be removed until you at least
>write test cases showing what exactly APIs are affected
>by system/user locale. Using LC_CTYPE for the system
>default locale (current ANSI code page) is very dubious
>choice as well. The whole purpose and the patch itself
>are pure hacks aimed to fix unexplaned side effects.

I think it would be best to set the codepage for an app in the
[AppDefaults] section.  Codepages are deprecated in favor of full
Unicode support,  but specific apps might use ANSI APIs, and might even
expect certain locales.  For instance,  Quattro Pro 9 appears to parse
text from the clipboard and from ODBC calls as CP437 on my WinME boxes.

By the way,  I think a system-wide /etc/wine.conf should be brought back
before the 1.0 release.

--
DLL