Wine and locales

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Jul 29 00:06:56 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Alexandre Julliard" <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>

>>I'm afraid I still don't see what's wrong with the patch. Obviously
>>there can be different system and user locales on Windows, since there
>>are APIs for that, and LC_CTYPE looks like a pretty good match for
>>what the system locale does; I don't really understand why you are so
>>violently opposed to that patch. Could you please explain exactly what
>>you think this is going to break?
>>

>It breaks every user's setup where LANG and LC_CTYPE inadvertently point
>to different locales (like LC_CTYPE=en_US, LANG=ru_RU) and users in that
>case have completely not working Wine: neither keyboard input, not localized
>resources and everything else. I, personally, fixed several similar cases
>for our customers.

What happens on Unix with that setup? When I try setting LANG to he_IL
and LC_CTYPE to en_US on unix, I can type Hebrew characters in kedit,
but they are saved as "?". In other words, Wine's behavior under the
case you mention exactly reflects the behavior Unix gives.

I think the GIGO rule should apply here. Garbage in, garbage out.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.