Wine and locales

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Jul 29 02:52:09 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:
>

>>but they are saved as "?". In other words, Wine's behavior under the
>>case you mention exactly reflects the behavior Unix gives.
>>

>That's not a Wine problem, that's a problem of the broken user locale.

But that's exactly my point. Wine's behavior correctly reflects that of
the user locale. Wine does not break here, it's the user locale that was
broken to begin with. It did not work in Unix either. Ergo - there is no
problem with wine.

You are effectively saying here that you want Wine to second guess the
user's locale, and fix broken setups. Well, MS has more than 100 times
the amount of developers we have, and any time they went with that
methodology, their product got just a little more broken (IE's mime
second guessing is a prime example). I don't think we should bring that
insanity into Wine, thank you.

If the user's locale is broken, it's perfectly ok in my book for Wine to
be broken too. Picking a random environment variable and saying "We will
use this one and not that one" is utter nonsense. Just so things are
clear, picking LC_ALL and LANG for the system locale, but not LC_CTYPE
is precisely that - picking random variables as representing of
functionality typically provided by other variables.

The flip side of your argument regarding broken locales now being broken
on Wine as well is that, if this patch is reverted, perfectly valid
locales (such as mine - LANG=en_US, LC_CTYPE=he_IL) are broken.

Now which do you prefer? Broken setups not being "fixed", or valid
setups being broken?

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh