winetests/winrash

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Jul 29 05:57:00 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:05:08PM +0200, Rolf Kalbermatter wrote:
> Chris Morgan <cmorgan at alum.wpi.edu> wrote:
>
> >I wouldn't mind adding a systray icon.  I wasn't really sure how that was
> >supposed to be done.  I tried having the service add a systray icon without
> >much success, I don't believe services can interact with the desktop. That
> >may mean that a separate winrash monitor may have to be written that
> >communicates with the service.
>
> Services can interact with the desktop but not by default. It is a special
> option you specify when installing the service.
One thing that should be mentioned here is that this is probably the way
to easily gain admin access (via the unfixably broken windows message
injection flaw in foreign processes that are system services).
(see "shattered windows" article on the internet or so)
Microsoft thus recommends using a separate non-privileged gui process
for querying/setting service related data.

Andreas Mohr