Question about mmap issues on FreeBSD/NetBSD

Yorick Hardy yha at na.rau.ac.za
Fri Jul 30 02:36:21 CDT 2004

Thanks for the response.

I must be doing something wrong, since wine-kthread gave the same error.
Anything I may have missed? I copied wine-kthread from loader/wine-kthread.

It does not appear to be correct, but is there any chance
madvise(..., MADV_DONTNEED) could help?

Also in libs/wine/mmap.c line 119 the result of mincore is never tested,
should it not be

 if ( (mincore( (caddr_t)addr + i, pagesize, &vec ) != -1) && (vec&1) )

(with a slight variation for FreeBSD), although I think this will not
resolve the current problem.

>You need MAP_NORESERVE support otherwise we can't control the address
>space correctly (unless you have a ton of virtual memory): if you run
>wine-kthread directly it should still work though unless you have
>execshield type address space randomisation active.
>
>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:13:25 +0200, Yorick Hardy wrote:
>> Just a question about the mmap issues experienced on FreeBSD, i.e.
>>  http://www.winehq.org/?issue=230#Wine%20on%20FreeBSD
>>
>> I encountered the same on NetBSD. It seems the error message is set from
>> ld.elf_so in NetBSD and ld-elf.so.1 in FreeBSD, when the address space
>> is mapped for the run time linking? Since MAP_NORESERVE is not documented
>> (and not supported?) for mmap on FreeBSD and NetBSD, it would appear
>> that wine and the ld.elf_so together require too much memory for all the mmap
>> calls.

Kind regards,

--
Yorick Hardy