vc++ install requires NetUserModalsGet

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 15:24:28 CDT 2004

Hi,

    Taking the advice of Ivan, I downloaded the beta of Visual C++
2005 to see how far it could work in Wine, and these are the results:

# wine vcsetup.exe
fixme:ver:RtlVerifyVersionInfo (0x406df40c,64,180000): Not all cases
correctly implemented yet
fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
fixme:netapi32:NetUserModalsGet (null) 2 0x406df394

Then an error message pops up stating that "a problem has been
encountered while loading components" and then it exits.

Looking into netapi32/access.c, NetUserModalsGet is a stub and returns
NERR_InternalError by default.  I think vcsetup is requiring this call
to succeed so it bails out because of the error.

Reading the trace and the msdn docs about NetUserModalsGet, vcsetup is
calling with the level parameter == 2 so it is requesting the domain
name and identifier.

With the included patch, I have stubbed the structure of the 4 levels
that can be queried, but I haven't written the code to handle them
yet.  If anyone has any information or links that will enlighten me
about netapi32 or anything pertaining to this matter, I would greatly
appreciate it.

quote from MSDN:
"The NetUserModalsGet function retrieves global information for all
users and global groups in the security database, which is the
security accounts manager (SAM) database or, in the case of domain
controllers, the Active Directory."

Does wine have a security accounts manager or an Active Directory?
--
James Hawkins