debugger symbols and NPTL on RedHat 9

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 3 14:01:44 CDT 2004

Shachar Shemesh a écrit :
> Eric Pouech wrote:
>
>> Shachar Shemesh a écrit :
>>
>>> While I agree in principle, in practice symbol lookups *appear* to
>>> work when winedbg is invoking the application directly.
>>

>> silly me. when run with gdb, the PE symbol lookup doesn't work, gdb
>> doesn't know anything about PE. You need to use winedbg without the
>> gdb proxy.
>> But you will loose the GUI debugging part (à la DDD, or kdbg...).
>> A+
>

> Damn, I was afraid of that answer.
>
> I really wanted to think that the symbol interpretation was done by the
> backend (winedbg) rather than the frontend.
>
> How possible is it to run "winedbg" as the backend to ddd/kdevelop
> instead of gdb? Are they even remotely close enough in command line?
I never tested that. AFAICT, both ddd and kdbg are using the regular gdb
command line (not the MI* extensions from gdb). While rewriting winedbg
I tried to make the commands as close as possible (from a syntax point
of view) from the gdb one's. However, I didn't check yet format of
answers and output. The idea anyway was to make winedbg look (command
input, but we could do output too) as close as possible to gdb to ease
up the migration of users from gdb to winedbg).
But it's likely we'll have some discrepencies in the output (and also
the I/O control from the graphical front-end on winedbg which may play
some tricks on us).
Anyway, it won't be a five minute fix (and Alexandre needs to commit
first the "small" pending winedbg part for me to go further).

A+