Versioning and internal APIs

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sun Jun 6 09:12:46 CDT 2004

Hi Alexandre,

Paul Davis of Ardour has raised a good point: currently despite the fact
that the symbols in libwine are versioned, we change them at will and
don't change the symbol version, for instance in the patch that made
environ passed through to wine_init from main to hack around the general
suckage of MacOS X.

Unless this versioning system is meant to be dormant until Wine 1.0 is out
(and we should definitely document this if so), perhaps we should be
changing the symbol versions?

Also, there is no easy way to find out the version of Wine you got from
dlopen at runtime. Should we export a wine_version symbol?

Finally, apparently Paul has had to duplicate a fair amount of Wine code
inside his libfst (library for loading Cubase VST plugins) because the
relevant functions are declared static in Wine. Paul, could you post a
list of exactly what you use?

It might be worth extending and starting to freeze some of these
semi-internal interfaces.

thanks -mike