winmm GetDevCaps better pointer check patch

Robert Reif reif at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 6 15:15:43 CDT 2004

Robert Shearman wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 19:26, Robert Reif wrote:
>

>>Not a real program but Microsoft's API checking programs do
>>try non NULL bad pointers and expect an error return rather
>>than a program crash.
>>
>>Are you saying checking a good pointer can cause problems?
>>

>No, checking a bad pointer can cause problems.
>See:
>http://blogs.msdn.com/LarryOsterman/archive/2004/05/18/134471.aspx
>
>Rob

Interesting read.  I would have thought Microsoft would have
checked if the memory range was already mapped and had the
proper access permission rather than just accessing it and catching
the page fault.  The whole point of the check is to prevent a
problem, not cause it.  It's hard to believe that's what they are doing.
Explains a lot though.