[wine] Re: Zombie processes

David Lee Lambert lamber45 at cse.msu.edu
Tue Jun 8 00:49:34 CDT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Robert Shearman wrote:

> Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> > .... It seems Wine has been > generating lots of zombie processes
> when it's not 100% cleanly killed. I > have also seen the system hold
> a socket created from a wine process in > "ESTABLISHED" state, when no
> process is registered as the socket's owner.

> > According to Alexandre according to Mike, this is a kernel bug. Well, it
> > most certainly is. Theoretically, there is nothing a user space process
> > can do to cause zombies to stay around after their parent has exit, or
> > keep sockets open after their controlling process has quit. As wine is a
> > user space only process, this must be a kernel bug. No way around it.

> > However, it happened to me both on RedHat 9 with 2.4.something (NPTL

I'm experiencing odd problems with RedHat 9,  and it may or may not be
related to Wine.  Sometimes when I leave the computer for a while and come
back,  the screensaver has come on an the system has frozen.  There is no
response to the keyboard and mouse,  and the system (apparently) doesn't
respond to the network either.  However, cycling the power and rebooting
brings the ext2fs partions back up in a dirty state,  requiring fsck.  It
could be a BIOS thing (sleep mode enabled),  but it seems to only happen
when I have Wine running.

--
resume at  http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/resume.htm
PGP key at http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/newmail.htm#GPGKey