Versioning and internal APIs

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Sun Jun 13 11:22:37 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn <mh at codeweavers.com> writes:

> Paul Davis of Ardour has raised a good point: currently despite the fact
> that the symbols in libwine are versioned, we change them at will and
> don't change the symbol version, for instance in the patch that made
> environ passed through to wine_init from main to hack around the general
> suckage of MacOS X.
>
> Unless this versioning system is meant to be dormant until Wine 1.0 is out
> (and we should definitely document this if so), perhaps we should be
> changing the symbol versions?

No, the interfaces are not considered frozen, they will be frozen in
1.0; until then it is possible that things will still need to
change. For the specific wine_init case, I suppose we could back out
the change if it causes trouble.

> Also, there is no easy way to find out the version of Wine you got from
> dlopen at runtime. Should we export a wine_version symbol?

No, I don't think we should encourage this kind of version checks.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org