docu update

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Jun 19 14:24:59 CDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 15:01:31 -0400, Geoff Thorpe wrote:
> Excellent, I'm glad this was said. One only has to look at the swing away
> from binary-distributions as a case in point - people *want* to eliminate
> unknown layers of patches, packaging, and divergence from the "real"
> thing.

The only popular source only distro is Gentoo, and if you saw the mess
they made of the Wine ebuilds you would not say this. Binaries don't
imply forking anyway.

> It is also the only way to know it tried to
> adapt itself appropriately to your system.

Why? Wine detects nearly everything at runtime, even very system specific
things (ie things users basically cannot change) like which threading
system is in use.

> In this respect, I find the Wine build system extremely
> impressive. autoconf et al are not the kindest of tools and Wine has no
> shortage of environmental challenges, yet the source tree seems to be
> very solid and clean base for people to work with.

Yep, the Wine build system is one of the easiest ones I've encountered,
probably because it only uses autoconf and not automake or libtool.

thanks -mike