Delayed breakpoints in winedbg

Adrian Rees arees at pacific.net.au
Tue Jun 29 08:17:16 CDT 2004

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for what is probably a dumb question...

I'm trying to debug a windows application by breaking on a call to a DLL
function - in fact it's the NtCreateKey function within the ntdll
library.

I must be missing something fundamental because the debugger indicates
that it has set a delayed breakpoint, but the breakpoint is never
reached, although turning on debugging messages clearly indicates that
the function is being called.

Here's a typical attempt:

$ WINDEBUG=reg winedbg MSMONEY.EXE
... (lots of startup calls to reg) ...
In 32 bit mode.
Wine-dbg>break NtCreateKey
fixme:dbghelp:elf_new_wine_thunks Duplicate in midimap.drv<elf>:
_edata<5b828a10 -00000000> completed.1<5b828a10-00000000>
... (snip) ...
No symbols found for NtCreateKey
Unable to add breakpoint, will check again when a new DLL is loaded
Wine-dbg>info break
No breakpoints
No watchpoints
Delayed breakpoints:
0: NtCreateKey
Wine-dbg>cont
trace:reg:NtCreateKey(0x28,L"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\AppPaths\\MSMONEY.EXE",L"",1,1,0xb9fd04)
trace:reg:NtCreateKey <- 0x50
trace:reg:RegQueryValueExA(0x50,"Path",(nil),0xb9fcf8,0xb9f318,0xb9fd00=260)
... (etc till program ends) ...

I've spent a couple of hours searching for more information on how to
use this capability of the debugger, but with no luck - can anyone tell
me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Adrian