Native NetBSD audio driver

wine at frotz.org wine at frotz.org
Wed Mar 3 12:20:20 CST 2004

> What is the plan for combining these audio drivers?  One thing that is common
> to each driver are the functions that handle the wave headers, adding,
> removing
> etc.

I understand the desire to extract common code from drivers that have largely
been cut and paste from the OSS driver's boilerplate, but I hope this merge
won't restrict new drivers to an implementation that uses this boilerplate.

I'm developing from the ground up a new ALSA/OpenAL driver which I intend
to provide a "best quality" PCM DirectSound experience for gaming.  The driver
uses ALSA's DMIX plugin device, so it should interoperate with similarly
configured arts, jack, etc. servers.  It supports secondary buffers and 3D.
The intent is to take advantage of HW support for these features when
available.
As yet I have had no need to reuse code from the OSS driver.  Legacy waveOut/
waveIn interfaces will be implemented using the driver's DirectSound
interfaces.

The driver is very pre-alpha and development is admittedly very slow.
However, when it is ready -- if there is interest -- I would like to
post it to wine-patches for code review and addition to CVS.

--d