Willing to help with animated icons/cursors

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Thu Mar 11 18:22:47 CST 2004

Hi Joel,

I've done a little work on animated icons.  I've investigated what is
necessary to make them work, and written a short plain C program that
can parse an animated icon file and extract the icons in it to .xpm
files, and a very short test program that doesn't work right in Wine.

The code for loading icons is in windows/cursoricon.c, but the code for
playing them will go into controls/static.c.

The note at the top of cursoricon.c about Paint Brush is for windows
3.1, and is not valid for the code we'll write

The major tasks are:
1) redesign the data structure containing the icon/cursor info to allow
storing of animated icon data

2) rewrite the icon loading code in cursoricon.c (difficult)

3) write some new animation code (timer based) in static.c

The second part is difficult because the existing code is pretty bad...
does this give you enough info on where to start?

Mike