README update offer

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Mar 11 20:37:37 CST 2004

On March 11, 2004 4:35 pm, Christian Britz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that I was pointed to the README file for my first german
> translation "because it is pretty stable and no major overhauls are
> planned". ;-) Nevertheless, I refuse to not offer you a little bit of my
> time to update some parts of the README and README.de files (the other
> translators would have to follow because I don't speak their languages
> well enough).
>
> I have two major update favorites:
>
> 1) Fabian Cenedese and others have made some good remarks about parts of
> the README being not precise enough or a little bit wrong / outdated. I
> would like to work on these sections.

Well, it's better to create a patch and post it to the list. This
way we know precisely what you have in mind, and we can comment on
that.

> 2) Someone on the ML of my local LUG asked a rather simple question that
> would fit to the "quick start" section IMO. He asked how to include
> original MS fonts into wine because some Windows application seems to
> demand them being present (physically). A short explanation of this and
> the possibility to use native DLL files would perfect to a README file I
> think. Using native files certainly is not a primary goal of wine
> development; on the other hand it could help new users or users with
> tricky applications a lot.

Hmm, I don't know about this one. The README is long enough as it is,
and having the native DLL discussion in there will only make it longer.
I think we should just refer people to the User Guide where is the
proper place to document these matters.

--
Dimi.